There are eye diseases that can lead to blindness, and very little is considered in preventing these problems. Stresses of environmental chemicals, cigarette smoke and radiation, hormonal levels, and even emotional stress can affect eye inflammation and cell death, These stressors cause the production of a reactive oxygen species that can not only damage the retina, cornea, and other structures of the eye, but can also damage kidneys, peripheral nerves, joints, heart, and other organs.
There are six safe herbs, considered “super herbs,” that may help stop this type of damage. Many supplements for vision or ocular support contain these herbs. They work to protect eyes as well as other organs and body parts
· Curcumin – stable in stomach acid, helps control some enzymes that cause inflammation
· Saffron – a kitchen spice that can block enzymes that cause cell damage
· Lutein and Zeaxanthin – plant based antioxidants for the eye, in yellow-colored fruits and green leafy vegetables
· Quercetin – a flavonoid found in vegetables, berries, and tea that acts as an antioxidant
· Resveratrol – helps to prevent formation of reactive oxygen species,improves heart health and slows diabetes
· Danshen – Chinese herb containing antioxidants and anti-inflammatory micronutrients that can significantly improve eye health