Little Known Facts
· Studies suggest that children have stronger, more satisfying relationships with pets, especially their dogs, than with their siblings.
· Because of overpopulation that strains both food supplies and living spaces, some researchers predict that in the future flesh-and-blood pets will be replaced by companion robots.
· Drilling holes in the skull to “let the madness out” was once a common treatment for mental illness.
· Ten percent of pedestrian injuries involve people who are texting or otherwise focused on cell phones.
· Hot air hand dryers in public restrooms disperse bacteria laden water droplets than can spread disease.
· Oils, fats, coffee grounds, eggshells, flour, rice, and pasta can clog the drains of garbage disposals.
· The cost of raising a child from birth through age 17 is currently $233,610, or $14,000 per year.
· For some people home sleep apnea tests have been shown to be as reliable as over-night sleep lab testing.
· A new study has shown that psychoactive chemicals have been found in children exposed to secondhand marijuana smoke.
Did You Know That?
· An anti-inflammatory diet protects women against fractures and bone loss.
· Drinking wine is associated with increased possibilities of melanoma.
· Half of adults and two-thirds of children drink one or more sugary drinks every day.
· Processed food and fast food tend to be high in salt and sugar and low in fiber.
· More than a third of injury-related emergency room visits are attributed to falls.
· Peppermint oil has been shown to reduce tension headaches when applied to the temples.
· Sesame oil has significant cardiovascular benefits.
· Urinary bladders can hold more than two cups of urine.
· Most people blink about 15 times a minute, which amounts to around 15,000 times a day.
· Although used culinary as grain, amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat are not grains. Grains are seeds of the plants in the grass family, and these plants are not in the grass family. They are more accurately classified as pseudo-grains.
· A berberine herbal supplement works as well for lowering blood sugar for some diabetics as metformin. Research suggests it may also reduce risk in developing diabetes.
· Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States.